Sunday, December 14, 2008

In Retrospect, My Job From Hell Was Funny

by Sandy Sand

When I look back on one of my jobs from hell, I can laugh about it.


It’s amazing how time can alter one’s perception of things.

All I could find was an awful boring part time job to take while looking for a real job. I had construction experience and went to work for a general contractor, who was in the middle of an acrimonious divorce from his wife of thirty or more years.

She wasn’t supposed to come anywhere near the office and must have waited in the parking lot for him to leave, because she always walked through the door when he wasn’t there. Like right after he was no longer there.

They were both nice people, and while they both like me, I really liked her better.
Each decided I was to be a best friend, putting me squarely in the middle of their divorce from hell, which made my less than desirable hellish.

It was like being a child of parents who were currying favor, and forcing their daughter to take mom’s or dad’s side.

Two weeks was all I could stand. Not having ever left a job without giving notice, this time I did; I had to for my sanity.

Come to think of it, maybe I should have stuck around and learned how to play the game of pitting mom and dad against each other, and let them bribe me with phenomenal toys to pick a side to play with.

Nah. It was so much easier and less stressful to go back to collecting unemployment and battling the bureaucrats instead of the Bickersons.

I always wondered what happened to them. I had visions of them solving their marital disputes at the point of a sword rather than pointed words.

No comments: